Grieving What Chronic Illness Takes Away: Allowing Yourself to Feel
It’s okay to not find meaning in every moment of suffering.
Living with a chronic illness is a lesson in adaptation, resilience, and recalibration. It forces you to rewrite the rules of your life, sometimes daily. But amidst all the effort to keep going—finding ways to cope, adjusting expectations, and navigating a world that often doesn’t understand—there’s a quieter, heavier truth that isn’t often acknowledged: chronic illness is a series of losses. And it’s okay to grieve them.
Grief isn’t just about losing someone you love; it’s also about the slow erosion of parts of yourself, your dreams, and what you wanted your future to look like. Chronic illness has a way of taking—your energy, your freedom, your spontaneity, and sometimes even your sense of identity. Sometimes I feel like it's engulfed my identity, all of me. And there’s no neat closure, no clear end point where you can say, “I’ve moved on from this.” Instead, there’s an ongoing need to mourn and adapt as the losses change shape over time.
For a long time, I resisted this grief. I told myself that I needed to focus on gratitude: for the things I still could do, for the people who stood by me, for the moments of respite that brightened otherwise challenging days. Often this was rooted in toxic positivity that influencers and lifestyle coaches try and push on us, and often it is futile. While I agree gratitude has its place, I’ve come to understand that it doesn’t negate grief. The two can coexist.
Some days, the losses hit harder than others. When I have to cancel plans for the third time in a row, I grieve the spontaneity and reliability I used to take for granted. When I scroll through photos of friends hiking, travelling, or doing things I can no longer do as easily or often as I could before I got sick, I feel the ache of what’s been taken. When I think back to how physically fit I used to be; boxing, triathlons, gymnastics, netball, football, athletics, cross country... the list goes on. Now I can't cope. When I wake up in pain or fatigue that fogs over my mind, I miss the version of myself who could tackle a day with boundless energy and clarity. And when I’m met with misunderstanding or dismissal from others who don’t see the invisible battles I fight, I mourn the ease of being fully seen and understood.
One of the hardest losses for me has been the impact on my career. People looking in won't understand, but I feel it every day. I’ve always seen myself as a hard worker—someone who is determined, passionate, and driven to grow professionally. I have big dreams and a deep desire to make a meaningful impact in my field. But my chronic illness often feels like an unrelenting barrier. There are days when I simply don’t have the energy to show up as the professional I know I can be. Deadlines feel insurmountable, and opportunities slip by because my body won’t cooperate. The frustration of knowing my potential and feeling it constantly limited by something out of my control is one of the most painful aspects of this journey. It’s a daily battle to reconcile my ambition with the reality of what my illness allows. Will I ever get to where I want to be? Is it even possible?
I hate to admit it, but sometimes I feel bitter and envious. If an able-bodied person experienced these symptoms short term, they would take the recovery time they needed without hesitation. But as someone who lives with these daily pains and mental and physical symptoms, I have to just power through and get on with it. We’re expected to carry on like we are able-bodied despite not being. That expectation—both from society and sometimes even from myself—is exhausting and isolating, but just a natural part of living with chronic, invisible illnesses. I hate that I feel this way, but sometimes I just can't help it.
It took me years to realise that acknowledging this grief doesn’t make me weak, nor does it mean I’ve given up. It’s an act of honesty—one that allows me to honour my experiences and give myself permission to feel.
There’s a tendency to want to wrap every story in a bow, to pull out a lesson or a silver lining that makes the pain feel worthwhile. And while chronic illness has taught me resilience, empathy, and patience, it’s also okay to admit that I’d trade those lessons in a heartbeat to have my health back. It’s okay to not find meaning in every moment of suffering.
So, if you’re living with chronic illness and you’re feeling the weight of everything it’s taken, let yourself grieve. Cry for the things you can’t do anymore. Feel the anger, the frustration, and the sadness. Talk about it, write about it, or sit with it in silence. Whatever you need. Grief isn’t something to get over; it’s something to move through, again and again, as many times as it arises.
And as you grieve, know this: you’re not alone. There’s a quiet solidarity among those who carry the invisible burdens of chronic illness. We may each have our unique stories, but the common thread of loss weaves us together. By allowing ourselves to grieve, we make space for healing, even if that healing doesn’t look like a cure. It looks like self-compassion, authenticity, and the courage to feel everything—the good, the bad, and the in-between.
Comments
Post a Comment