Adenomyosis: Understanding, Symptoms, Treatment, and Support
When I was diagnosed with endometriosis, I had no idea what it was. Similarly, when I was later diagnosed with adenomyosis, I also had no clue what that was either. They sounded similar, but how were they different? Information on adenomyosis was limited, and I wasn't sure how it impacted or effected the endometriosis, if at all.
While they share some similarities, it is crucial to understand that they are distinct conditions with their own characteristics. I wanted to dive deeper into the world of adenomyosis, exploring what it is, how it differs from endometriosis, its symptoms, impact on quality of life, available treatments, and ways we can support people dealing with this condition. Hopefully, if more people are aware of this condition, they can get the help and support they need, faster.
Understanding Adenomyosis
Adenomyosis is a gynaecological condition characterised by the presence of endometrial tissue, which normally lines the uterus, growing deep into the myometrium (muscle of the uterus). This infiltration can cause the uterus to become enlarged, thickened, and tender. Although the exact cause of adenomyosis remains unknown, hormonal imbalances, genetic factors, and inflammation are believed to play a role.
Symptoms of Adenomyosis:
Adenomyosis can manifest differently for each individual, and some individuals may experience no symptoms at all. However, common symptoms include:
- Heavy and prolonged menstrual bleeding
- Severe menstrual cramps
- Pelvic pain and pressure
- Painful intercourse
- Abdominal bloating and tenderness
- Irregular bleeding or spotting between periods
- Painful bowel movements or urination during menstruation
Adenomyosis vs. Endometriosis
![]() |
| Image by Pantai Hospitals |
Adenomyosis and endometriosis share certain similarities, such as both involving the presence of endometrial tissue outside its usual location. However, their distinction lies in the location of the abnormal tissue growth. In adenomyosis, the endometrial tissue infiltrates the uterine wall, whereas in endometriosis, it implants outside the uterus, commonly on organs such as the ovaries, fallopian tubes, or pelvic lining. Additionally, the symptoms and treatment approaches may differ between the two conditions.
Impact on Quality of Life
Living with adenomyosis can significantly impact an individual's quality of life. The chronic pain, heavy bleeding, and associated symptoms can lead to fatigue, emotional distress, and difficulty performing daily activities. The pain and discomfort may interfere with work, relationships, and overall well-being, often causing frustration and a sense of isolation.
Personally, I find it difficult to navigate living every single day of my life in some level of pain, and having to mask how much pain I'm in to protect the comfort of others. Last minute cancellations because of sudden flare ups, being stuck in relationships with people who didn't understand how painful being intimate could be and forcing myself to go through with things I didn't necessarily want, are both things that had huge impacts on my relationships. In that last relationship a lack of knowledge of my experiences and a lack of willingness to listen, learn, and understand, completely damaged my confidence, my willingness to be open about my condition.
Living with invisible and chronic illnesses can be incredibly isolating, and I know I often go through deep cycles of isolation, grief, anger, and increased anxiety and depression. It's easy to feel trapped and like nobody understands what you go through on a day to day basis, and I find myself often going through cycles of mourning for the parts of me I lost to my illnesses and the things I had to give up. This can spiral into anger. Anger at my own limitations, anger at people's ignorance to what I go through, anger that it took so long to diagnose, and anger that it happened to me. As well as this, the unpredictability of symptoms increases my anxiety around going out, and especially activities that involve me staying overnight with someone.
What I have come to learn is that the way I manage these intense, and often damaging feelings, is to be as open as possible with the few people I trust and care about deeply. Friends that live nearby have spare keys to my home just in case, they've accompanied me and held my hands at appointments, and they are always there to listen to me. The most wonderful feeling was when one friend told me that he'd taken the time to read up on these conditions and learn about them so he could understand what I went through and he was better placed to help me. I don't think to this day, he realises how much that gesture meant to me.
Treatments for Adenomyosis
The management of adenomyosis aims to alleviate symptoms and improve quality of life and looks different for every person. Treatment options may include:
- Pain medication: Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can provide relief from pain and reduce inflammation.
- Hormonal therapy: Birth control pills, hormonal patches, or intrauterine devices (IUDs) can help regulate hormonal imbalances and reduce symptoms.
- Uterine artery embolization (UAE): This minimally invasive procedure blocks the blood vessels supplying the uterus, reducing blood flow and shrinking the adenomyosis.
- Endometrial ablation: It involves the destruction or removal of the uterine lining to reduce bleeding and pain.
- Hysterectomy: In severe cases or when other treatments have been unsuccessful, surgical removal of the uterus may be recommended.
From experience, it's important to push your doctors to fully explain all of your options to you, so you can make the best decision for yourself. This whole journey has really taught me to advocate for yourself, because sometimes you're the only one to do so.
Supporting People with Adenomyosis
It is essential to create a supportive environment for individuals with adenomyosis. Here are some ways we can offer support to other people living with the condition:
- Education and awareness: Increasing awareness about adenomyosis can help others understand the condition and its impact on daily life. As I mentioned before, when my friend showed me the research and time he'd put into learning about some of the things I have to manage, I felt seen for the first time in a long time. I felt less alone.
- Emotional support: Offering a listening ear, empathy, and understanding can provide emotional support to individuals experiencing physical and emotional challenges. It's not always about having all the answers, or giving advice (sometimes that's worse!), usually we just need someone to listen, and be like "I'm sorry, that sounds really shitty, but I'm here for you however I can be. How can I best support you?"
- Providing resources: Sharing information about reputable support groups, online communities, and healthcare providers specialising in adenomyosis can be invaluable for those seeking guidance. I'd particularly like to see more of this in schools, so that children don't grow up thinking that crippling pain during periods is something they just have to live with. Equally, in workplaces, I'd like to see more resources and help for people living with chronic and invisible illnesses like this, so that everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and grow professionally.
- Advocacy: Supporting research efforts and advocating for improved diagnostic methods and treatment options can help raise the profile of adenomyosis and promote better care. We can all speak out for each other and look to remove the taboo around gynaecological healthcare.
Adenomyosis is a distinct gynaecological condition that can have a significant impact on a person's quality of life. Differentiating adenomyosis from endometriosis is crucial for accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. By understanding the symptoms, available treatments, and supporting those affected, we can collectively contribute to the well-being and improved quality of life for individuals navigating the challenges posed by adenomyosis. For me, knowledge and transparency about the way I live with this condition has been key, and I think the more people that open up about their experiences the better. By challenging the stigma around reproductive healthcare, and increasing awareness of these conditions, more people will get the help they need, faster.

Comments
Post a Comment